With the theme “Equal in Dignity of all Persons" 33 priests and religious from north and south of Sri Lanka gathered for a workshop from the 30th July to the 02ndAugust 2012 at Santhana Retreat House in Galaha Kandy Sri Lanka. Mr. Philip Setunga facilitated the workshop that was organized by the Human Rights Office Kandy. The participants from different parts of the country were with experience working with detainees, prisoners and Human Rights activists defending and safeguarding the marginalized and those affected by the civil war.
All participants introduced themselves with the work they were engaged in, especially the recent experiences that they had in protecting the Rights of different communities. There was a long discussion about the situation of the people of Mullikulam and further the resolutions of the last workshop held in Madhu were also reviewed.
It was the occasion, as expressed by some of the participants, for each one to express freely and in a constructive manner the realities lived, challenges faced, reactions emitted and hopes held out as members of the believing community. All the sharing is reflected in the resolutions adopted at the end of the meeting.
- Get the religious personnel and the enlightened Christians, particularly from the south of the country to visit the displaced Mullikulam people.
- Popularize the recommendations found in the LLRC
- Information useful and relevant for submissions to UNHRC to be collected,
- Listing of political detainees and whenever possible to communicate the information to the members of their families
- Make a list of the camps, particularly in the north and the east of the country, of the army, navy and the air-force
- Organize informal meeting of the persons (directors) working in the domain of human rights among the plantation workers,
- Make an effort to sign online petitions issued by the members of our group, particularly the ones sent by Fr. Nandana and Ruki.
The next workshop scheduled from the 04th to the 07th February 2013 in Madhu.